Tamoxifen 20 Mg – What Exactly Does This Drug Do?
Breast cancer treatments for patients include a wide variety of options like chemotherapy, surgery, and hormone therapy. One of the drugs used for hormone therapy includes the popular drug Nolvadex-D from Astra Zeneca, which contains the active ingredient Tamoxifen Citrate. Tamoxifen products like Nolvadex and their generic counterparts are used alone or in conjunction with the other treatments for breast cancer and may also be used as preventive agents in patients with a history or high risk for breast cancer.
Tamoxifen Uses: What is This Drug?
Tamoxifen 20 mg is termed a hormone receptor antagonist drug or an anti-estrogen product. Products with the active ingredient Tamoxifen Citrate are primarily indicated for patients with breast cancer, often as a standalone treatment or a supplemental treatment for patients who have undergone other medical procedures like radiation or chemotherapy.
The drug Tamoxifen Citrate blocks the growth (metastasis) by blocking the cancer cell receptors for estrogen. Tamoxifen aims to reduce cancer cell growth through this mechanism of action because cancer cells feed on estrogen, hence the blockage of cancer cell receptors for estrogen can halt the tumor growth.
Tamoxifen – Nolvadex-D from AstraZeneca
Tamoxifen Citrate products are not for everyone. Before the drug is prescribed, several parameters are checked, like the following:
● Irregular menstrual periods or any unusual menstrual periods
● Allergies to Tamoxifen Citrate or any of the inactive components of the medication
● Recent stroke, deep vein thrombosis or DVT, or blood clot in the lungs (pulmonary embolism)—any medical condition which requires patients to take Warfarin or other blood thinning drugs
● High cholesterol or triglycerides, diabetes, high blood pressure, immobility, liver disease, cataracts, or smoking
● Pregnancy or lactation
● Blood disorders like porphyria
● Current medications including over-the-counter treatments or products, herbal remedies, contraceptive pills, supplements, and similar products
Patients need to get thoroughly assessed by their doctors first before Tamoxifen Citrate intake. Because of the drug’s sensitivities, patients need to be completely transparent about their medical history and their current medications.
Tamoxifen Dosage: How Should Patients Use This Drug?
Depending on the outcome projected in patients and depending on the patients who will use the product, the patients are given varying doses of the drug Tamoxifen. Here are the dose recommendations in patients for Tamoxifen Citrate:
For breast cancer:
● Tamoxifen 20 mg to 40 mg daily for both men and women; doses more than 20mg are divided
● Tamoxifen 20 mg daily for women suffering from Ductal Carcinoma in Situ (post radiation therapy and breast surgery)—this treatment should continue for 5 years
● Tamoxifen 20 mg daily (orally, for 5 years) for breast cancer incidence reduction in women who are high-risk
● Tamoxifen 20 mg (or 10 mg) 2 times a day – palliative dose for breast cancer
● Tamoxifen 10 mg for node-positive breast cancer (postmenopausal women post breast surgery) 2-3 times a day, 5 years
● Tamoxifen 20 mg for 12 months for girls with McCune-Albright Syndrome (girls ages 2-10)
● Tamoxifen 20 mg for 12 months for girls with precocious puberty
Tamoxifen Adverse Effects: What are the Common Side Effects of Tamoxifen Use?
Side effects are almost inevitable for all medications—this means that patients can also expect side effects accompanying their use of Tamoxifen Citrate in patients. According to the drug information for Tamoxifen 20 mg, due to the drug’s mechanism of action, it can be expected to cause the following complications:
● Vein, brain, or lung blockages
● The drug can also cause womb/uterine cancers and liver cancer (seen in rats)
Apart from the aforementioned complications, here are some of the more common side effects observed in patients taking the drug Tamoxifen for their medical conditions:
● Hot flashes
● Nausea and vomiting
● Irregular periods
● Menstrual changes
● Facial redness
● Weight gain or weight loss
● Swelling of the hands/extremities
● Abdominal cramps
● Bleeding gums
Amongst all the side effects identified for Tamoxifen Citrate use, the ones which are most prevalent include nausea, hot flashes, and vomiting—these side effects are identified in 65% of the patients.
Tamoxifen 20 mg is a prescription-only medication used for patients with breast cancer. Apart from being a standalone treatment for breast cancer, the drug is also used as a preventive agent for women with high risk for breast cancer, as well as a supplementary treatment for patients who’ve already undergone surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation surgery for cancer.
Although the drug is visible at local pharmacies, Tamoxifen 20 mg is also sold my most online pharmacies and is available with the provision of the appropriate prescription for the product. Advantages of purchasing Tamoxifen online encompass the following:
● Cheaper prices – Most online pharmacies offer cheaper prices for Tamoxifen and other products since meds are often sourced overseas
● More deals – Online pharmacies offer more deals than local drugstores—some web pharmacies offer free pills, discount coupons, larger order discounts, and more
● Discreet shipping – Customers can enjoy discreet deliveries for their meds, especially for drugs associated with socially stigmatized diseases
● Wider product range – One of the best qualities of online drugstores is their ability to offer a broad spectrum of products—instead of offering the usual brand-name drug, web drugstores have various generic options available
Overall, online pharmacies are great to source Tamoxifen 20 mg from, although patients should keep in mind that before sourcing the drug online, they need to have a valid prescription from a licensed medical practitioner. Also, it is important for consumers to look for legitimate online pharmacies (such as the ones included on our list of TOP Web Drugstores) for safer, hassle-free online transactions.